Today was the first day back to school for kids in the New York area, signifying the end to an amazing, but scorching summer. One of the (few) positive things unemployment has allowed me, was a summer of freedom. For the first time in almost 15 years I was able to feel like a kid again….a kid with money, an over 21 ID and no parental guidance. It. Was. Awesome.
I was so used to hating the summer from years of being stuck in an office with pale white skin, and commuting through the overbearingly hot trenches of Hell AKA the NYC Subway system; that I’d forgotten how fun it could be to relax on the beach sipping a cold drink – all of course while posting pictures of my daily heaven on Facebook (and my Instagram) to torture all of my gainfully employed friends.
(Like this one…and yes, that IS a boob sculpture we created)
But that’s not really what this post is about. This post is about the Fall, and more importantly the awesome television shows that start up again in the Fall (Yay!!!).
Now, don’t get me wrong I like other things about the season – delicious seasonal beers (Oktoberfest anyone?), boot wearing, HALLOWEEN, multi-colored leaves and pumpkin flavored coffee just to name a few, but nothing gets me over the depression of it getting dark at 4pm like watching hordes of zombies take over a farm, or corrupt politicians and mobsters in the 1920’s being complete badasses and having blatant disregard for the law. Who’s with me people?! So that being said, here is a list of my favorite TV shows that are starting up again. I can’t wait to start watching them all (hooray for DVR!!)
- The Walking Dead – I was watching the season finale of Breaking Bad (the best show on TV in my opinion, oooh Walter White you are one badass motherf*cker!!) and a commercial for The Walking Dead came on. At first I didn’t realize what it was for, I just saw a group of dirty looking people huddled together…and then I heard it, the telltale moans of the encroaching walkers. Panic set in. My pulse quickened, my hands clenched into fists and my body stiffened, then…they showed the zombies and I yelled “Noooo!!!!!!” Then the The Walking Dead title filled the screen and I quietly (and slightly manically) said “Yesssssssss…” and that pretty much sums up how I feel about this show. The beginning of the 2nd season was a bit slow for me but the second half was filled with zombie killing action filling me with as much anxiety as it did joy, I’m also pretty stoked for all the new characters being introduced.
- Boardwalk Empire – With heavy hitters like Scorsese and Buscemi how can you go wrong? Throw in a little mafia killing, illegal booze trafficking and nudity and you’ve got yourself another HBO gem – the writing isn’t half bad either! Some people say this show is too slow, but for me the pace is methodical and makes it easy to be caught off guard by the sharp turns in the plot – I love it.
- 30 Rock – Sadly it’s the last season of this hilarious comedy and I’m sure it will be as tear inducingly funny as the last 6.
- American Horror Story – What can I say? I enjoy being scared and slightly freaked out – especially this close to Halloween. I’m looking forward to the crazy plot twists and intertwined story lines that American Horror Story is just so damn good at, plus it’s based in the 60’s this go around, so that should be fun.
- Dexter – This one is a long time favorite and while I fear they are swimming dangerously close to jumping the shark, I am still quite entertained by Dexter’s murderous obsessions (I’m not as crazy as I sound – I promise).
- Modern Family – The comedic scripts combined with the comedic timing and personas of this entire cast will always keep me coming back for more.
- Grimm – Ok so this one is a little cheesey, but that’s exactly what I love about it. I always loved the Grimm Fairy Tales as a kid and I thoroughly enjoy how they’ve modernized the stories (even if it is a bit wacky).
- Suburgatory- This show is adorable and I always have a smile on my face at the end of each episode.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this post and my list of Fall TV faves – let me know what your Fall faves are, and if you think there are any shows that you would have included that I left out.